12 Bug Farm Foods whole locusts
2 tablespoons of honey (we use our own Bug Farm honey – yum, yum!)
1 teaspoon of miso
5g of organic butter
1 pinch (¼ of a teaspoon) of cayenne pepper
A few drops of sunflower oil
How to do it:
1. Firstly, get everything ready in separate pots or dishes as this is a very quick recipe!
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan until a tiny piece of butter sizzles and smokes. Wipe the pan clean.
3. Add the oil first, as this stops the butter burning so quickly, then add the butter. Add the locusts and toss in the pan, or stir with a wooden spoon, for 10 seconds or so.
4. Reduce the heat, add the honey, cayenne pepper and the miso and stir until the locusts are coated and look a little caramelised.
5. Tip the locusts onto a non-stick tray or line a tray with some baking paper, try and stop them touching each other: as they cool they tend to stick together! Eat only after they have cooled completely.